Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mudhudhudhu

So I referenced my 'ghost motorcycle' before, and it's a fairly typical example of how things often go in Zim.... I arranged with my friend Allan, shortly after I arrived in Dec., to rent his Yamaha 250 mudhudhudhu (motorcycle; you say mudhudhudhu as if imitating the sound of a motorcycle - try it, it's fun.) It was in at his mechanic friend's (not the butternut mechanic, another one who repairs motorcycles and other small engines) place, had just been rebuilt and just needed $20 to finish fixing a leak and bring it home. I paid $100 in advance rental, quite pleased to have the freedom of my own transport, as there are no commuter lifts out to Kufunda. After a week I picked it up and brought it home, filling the tank with fuel on the way in anticipation of many adventures, but discovered the next morning that it was still leaking - and worse. We took it back in, I went away over the holidays, and with one thing and another it was early January before it was ready again. I went and picked it up, but the mechanics had siphoned off the fuel (they claimed they'd used it for 'road testing'), so I stopped for more fuel, then drove it home. The next day, leaking again. Drove it back to the shop, where it sat.... and sat. This time, an arguement over money - plus, because the mechanic was doing it for a reduced price, he was giving other paying jobs priority. Towards the end of January Allan brought it back.... but it was still leaking, and he took it back the next day. That's the last I saw of it... maybe it will turn up for my final days. Anyway, this is the only - and quite appropriate - shot I have of 'my bike'.

No comments:

Post a Comment